This blog marks 6 months since John and I started in our posts and Our Place Camelon and Tamfourhill was reborn. For my part, as a local resident as well, I came with hopes and plans as to the things I could bring to this new and exciting role as Community Coach. However, starting a new job during a national pandemic and lockdown really threw most of those plans up in the air! But, undeterred, I have pushed on as much as possible through mainly online contact and phone calls and have been grateful to the willingness of local groups to get on board with what I can bring – especially those who came to me for help. That has been especially helpful during these restrictions as I don’t necessarily know what help is needed unless people tell me.
There is still a lot of work to do and I’ve in no way been able to give all the groups what they need or even make significant contact with some. That does not mean I won’t keep trying though! Contact with individuals has also been hard as I can’t get out to meet you! But I’m working on how I can do this through the restrictions we face just now and would just again encourage anyone who wants any support with training and personal development to do as some have already and give me a shout. Even if you’re not sure what you need – often chatting it through with someone else can be a big help. My contact details are below.
I’d also like to thank everyone who has got on board with what we’re trying to achieve here. Those who have supported me, shared our social media posts and blogs, informed others about what we’re doing and basically cheered us on. Sincerely – thank you.
For now, this seemed a good chance to review what I’ve been able to do so far. I record this not to show off in any way – that’s not my style. But simply to try to show how Our Place Camelon and Tamfourhill, and especially my role as a Community Coach, can be of benefit in this amazing community.
- 26 Local Organisations have been supported with information, guidance or training on:
- Local Contacts
- Covid Guidance
- Project Related
- General Chat
- 4 Individuals have been supported with:
- Access to training
- Idea development
- Relevant Contacts
- 34 External Organisations have been linked up with for:
- Information and Support for Local Organisations
- General Links and Wider Support
- Information and Guidance
- Collaboration Opportunities
- Project Support
- 6 Organisations and 2 Individuals have been identified for delivering Free or Low Cost Training:
- I am combining my search for various courses together with working to find out the kinds of courses people are needing.
- The list is too long to put on this blog, and really is endless depending on what you, the people and organisations of this area, actually want and need.
- Courses include Personal Development, Employability, Organisational Development and Skills Based subjects.
- I have been building my own skills to enable me to deliver this training online as it looks like it might be a little while before we can have groups together for this.
- I have taken part in 11 Training Sessions or Courses:
- Managing Change
- Rebuilding Income Streams
- Wellbeing Economy
- Asset Transfer
- Community Right to Buy
- Community Wealth Building
- Asset Based Community Development
- Digital Champion
- Taking your Training Online
- Delivering Effective Online Learning
- Human Centred Design
- Working on Developing 6 Projects in the area:
- Creative Communities Fund – Behind the Labels Project
- Collaborative funding application unsuccessful but working with groups involved to discuss alternative options.
- Cycle Repair Pop Up Workshops
- Thanks to work with Cycling UK, these are happening over the next 2 weeks.
- Easter Carmuirs Park
- Early work on planning for Phase 2 consultation which will include forming a new group of local people to help the process.
- Community Growing/Gardening
- Formation and support of new group to develop growing sites across the area.
- Cycling Events
- Potential partnership with Cycling Scotland and Falkirk Active Travel Hub to include the area in some events.
- I am developing a programme of 1-1 coaching for individuals to enable personal and organisational growth.
It’s been quite a fun and rewarding process putting this list together and I’m sure there’s things I’ve missed and there’s more in the pipeline as well. In any area of development – whether that is personal or organisational – it’s good to look back on where you’ve come from as, no matter how low we may feel on the odd occasion, recognising achievements to date is a real boost. This process can really help you move forwards. I hope to be able to help others do the same locally as we go through the next 6 months and beyond.
Look back to learn how to look forwardJoe Girard
If you want to know more about how I can support you or your organisation, please get in touch either by email to email@example.com or call 07444 873151.