Whilst we still do not know timings for being able to reopen buildings or restart activities in full, there are some tasks that we can be doing now to prepare. These tasks will help you to be ready to go as soon as restrictions are lifted to avoid losing any more time.
We have seen that some activities have been able to restart now in a restricted way, whereas others will be at least Phase 3, or more likely Phase 4, before they can begin – when that will be is unclear still. We will do our best to keep you up to date, but advise that you also keep in touch with a regulatory body for your own activity for specific information.
The information below was gathered from a presentation by SportScotland, but can be applied to all groups that either operate or make use of a multi-use facility eg Community Halls, Social Clubs, Church Halls etc. Not all of this will apply to all groups but it is worth having the full list so that all bases can be covered.
- Consider establishing a Covid Response Group rather than leaving all the preparations to the existing management committee. There will be a lot of admin to undertake of which regulatory bodies, governing organisations, and even us at Our Place Camelon and Tamfourhill, are hoping to break things down in to easy to manage systems, but it will still involve a lot of localised input and action.
- Example of things to be prepared/considered:
- Reinstatement Plans – how, when and to what extent will you reopen the facility?
- Policies and Procedures will need revising including your Health and Safety Policy
- Risk Assessments will need revising – Templates will be available from some governing bodies in the coming days and weeks.
- Cleaning procedures. It is currently advised that the virus could live on hard surfaces for 3-5 days therefore cleaning must be undertaken after each activity and at the end of every day. NB – If it can’t be safely cleaned or disinfected then it must be removed or placed out of service. Potential products include:
- Evans EC4 Sanitiser (Spray, leave 30secs, wipe off)
- Virex (Spray on hard surfaces – no wipe required)
- If the facility has been out of use for a while, water tanks should be tested for legionnaires, plus gas/electric services should be properly checked.
- Car Parking provision should be reduced to allow social distancing. People dropping participants off to activities should be advised just to drop off and pick up and not to have a social gathering in the car park.
- Identify high traffic points and consider one way systems, using fire exits where necessary so that people may come in one way and leave another.
- Check with insurers that they are happy for you to reopen.
- Increase signage – standardised signs are available from many sources but your own governing body may have specific ones for your activity.
- At present, changing facilities should not be used including showers, but follow guidance for when these can be safely used again.
- If you have multiple groups using your facility, new programming will be needed to allow for cleaning in between sessions.
- If you rely on multiple groups then your capacity could be considerably reduced at least in the early stages of exit, so consider if it is financially viable for you to reopen at an early stage.
- Have plans in place for reporting any outbreak of the virus especially to the Scottish Governments Track and Trace programme.
- Take time now to prepare for reopening rather than get to the point of reopening and not be ready.
- Guidance on First Aid Kit additional items is being made available. Information on First Aid and CPR is available at: https://www.rlss.org.uk/news/cpr-during-covid-19 and also https://www.sja.org.uk/get-advice/first-aid-advice/covid-19-advice-for-first-aiders/
- General information on all of the above and more can be found at https://www.hps.scot.nhs.uk/web-resources-container/covid-19-guidance-for-non-healthcare-settings/ and also at https://www.nhsinform.scot/illnesses-and-conditions/infections-and-poisoning/coronavirus-covid-19/coronavirus-covid-19-physical-distancing
This is just scratching the surface but is hopefully a helpful guide for you amongst all the other information that is out there just now. If you need any help, feel free to contact us in the usual ways.