Community Coach Blog, Dan Rous, 18 November 2021
Earlier this week I attended an information session led by our friends at the Falkirk Council Employment and Training Unit, regarding a new funded Job scheme for third sector organisations. Todays blog will highlight the relevant information about this scheme so that we can hopefully bring some of these funded jobs into Camelon and Tamfourhill.
In response to the economic impact of the covid-19 pandemic, the Scottish Government has awarded funding to encourage third sector organisations to offer paid work opportunities to people aged over 25 years, who have been unemployed for over 12 months and have additional barriers to employment. While the scheme is for all over Scotland, it is split down to local authority areas so this information relates purely to Falkirk. Their funding is enough to support 57 jobs which is a great opportunity, so let’s get to the detail.
- Participants must live in Scotland and have the right to live and work in the UK.
- They must not be currently be engaged in employment, training or education.
- They must be 25+, been out of work for 12 months of more, and be facing barriers to securing employment. This may be from a lack of relevant skills, background issues, confidence, transport, child care or other preventative issue.
- Start dates must be before 31 March 2022. The first start can be 22 November 2021 (although considering that is next week, it is unlikely!!)
- The jobs will be fixed term for 26 weeks no matter when they start between now and March.
- Terms & Conditions will align with your organisation (including annual leave, sick pay, holiday pay, pension etc).
- Jobs will be a maximum of 30 hours per week but can be flexible to meet the needs of the individual and organisation, i.e. term time, less hours for longer
- Each opportunity will attract funding up to a maximum of £10,000 for the host organisation depending on the hours offered.
- The funding will vary against number of hours/weeks/additional costs associated with delivery/support offered.
- The funding supports certificated training and there is an expectation that all participants will undertake a certificated training course prior to or during the job placement. The Employment and Training Unit can support with this as required.
- Funding will be provided monthly by Falkirk Council. The official system is for organisations to pay the wages in the first instance and then reclaim in full from Falkirk Council. However, I know this will be an issue for many organisations so, if payment in arrears is going to be barrier please speak to the team at the Employment and Training Unit who have promised to find a way to make this work.
- Jobs must be supported by a nominated staff member (mentor) who, in turn, will be supported by a named contact from the Employment and Training Unit.
- Individual organisations will be responsible for induction and day-to-day management of the participant.
- Progress will be reviewed regularly with participant and mentor and can be stopped if not working out for either party.
- Where the placement is successful, additional funding may be available after the 26-week period. Your named contact at the Employment and Training Unit will help you to investigate this.
Request to organisations
- Can you identify any opportunities where an additional member of staff would be of benefit within your organisation?
- These may be entry level positions or something more substantial.
- Do you know anyone who meets the eligibility criteria who would be interested?
Jobs will be allocated on a first come first served basis so while there’s no immediate rush, also don’t hang about. And if you don’t think you’ll be able to host a placement until later in the scheme, even 31 March, you are still encouraged to apply now, stating your requirements for a start date.
If you can create an opportunity, please contact EmployerEngagement@falkirk.gov.uk at your earliest convenience. If you need any support to consider your options or to apply, then please contact me in the usual way (see below) and I’ll help you through the process.
This is a fantastic opportunity to get an employee with your organisation, fully funded, to help you to grow and support more people in the Camelon and Tamfourhill area. Let’s see how many of these jobs we can bring in.
Until next time…